Pekanbaru, February 27, 2013. Examined 14 companies related to the forestry corruption case in Riau by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) involving a number of high officials and the Governor of Riau, HM Rusli Zainal is the fact that efforts to improve forest governance in Indonesia still have a long way to go.
Another interesting fact, of the 14 companies there are several companies that obtain certificates in the Timber Legality Verification System (SVLK) – one of the tools / rules issued by the government as an effort to improve the forest governance system in Indonesia. JPIK (Independent Forest Monitoring Network) questions the certificate obtained by the company and the parties issuing the certification.
Based on data and information compiled by the Riau Province Independent Forestry Monitoring Focal Point (JPIK) which has been focusing on SVLK monitoring, of the 14 companies, there were 3 companies that were certified in Sustainable Production Forest Management Performance Evaluation (PK-PHPL) and 7 companies that obtained a Certificate in Timber Legality Verification (VLK). All of these companies are members of Asia Pacific Resources International Holdings Limited (APRIL) and Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) group.
JPIK Riau Focal Point, Zainuri Hasyim said that since 2010 JPIK Riau has been monitoring companies that will carry out an assessment of the SVLK, “We have monitored several problematic companies, including PHPL Certification of PT. Riau Andalan Pulp & Paper ( RAPP) and PT Arara Abadi. In the process of monitoring, we have difficulty obtaining data and information on the certification process and the results of the certification. “
Zainuri added that from the results of monitoring, there were problems with the company’s performance both from the prerequisite, ecological and social aspects that had not yet been completed and were indicated to be covered by the agencies that conducted the assessment and the companies assessed. “Indications of problems with the company’s performance strengthened when the KPK reopened this case. Therefore, the SVLK certificate received by this company must be accounted for, not only by the company but also the certification body / appraiser who issued the certificate. National Accreditation Committee (KAN) and the Ministry of Forestry are also responsible for this, “said Zainuri Hasyim.
Meanwhile JPIK National Dynamics, Abu Meridian revealed that JPIK always strives in the forum for formulating SVLK rules so that the root causes in the forestry sector, namely the licensing process must be included in one of the dominant (main) verifiers rather than supporting verifiers in the SVLK assessment. “How can we succeed in improving our forest governance, if the root causes do not become one of the important aspects to be assessed in this SVLK,” Abu said.
Abu also added that the case that occurred in Riau showed all parties that there were still unhealthy practices in the licensing process in the forestry sector which involved both central and regional governments. JPIK will encourage the licensing aspect to be an important or mandatory part of the SVLK assessment process including those related to the process of obtaining the permit so that the issuance of the SVLK does not become the company’s legitimacy for what they have done. “We see what happened in Riau in the presence of alleged bribery (corruption) in the licensing process in the forestry sector is evidence that the SVLK certificate-both PHPL-certificate and LK-certificate-for some HTI companies in Riau is flawed in assessment. This case should be an example for improving SVLK related to licensing aspects, so that SVLK becomes credible. “
Zainuri Hasyim – JPIK Focal Point Riau Province
firstname.lastname@example.org or + 62811-754409
Abu Meridian – JPIK National Dynamics
email@example.com or + 62857-15766732
- The Timber Legality Verification Standard (SVLK) is a requirement to fulfill the timber legality / product made based on the agreement of forestry stakeholders which includes standards, criteria, indicators, verifiers, verification methods, and assessment norms. The Timber Legality Verification System (SVLK) refers to the Minister of Forestry Regulation No P.38 / Menhut-II / 2009 updated to P.68 / Menhut-II / 2011 and on the 18 December 2012 the latest regulations were stipulated, namely P.45 / Menhut-II / 2012 .
- The Sustainable Production Forest Management Performance Assessment System is a series of PHPL performance appraisal processes and Timber Legality Verification for timber concession holders that contain standards, criteria, verifiers, verification methods, and assessment norms.
- JPIK is an Independent Forest Monitoring Network that was agreed and declared on 23 September 2010 by 29 NGOs and NGO Networks from Aceh to Papua. The establishment of JPIK is a manifestation of its commitment to actively contribute in promoting good forestry governance by ensuring credibility and accountability of the implementation of a system of Performance Assessment of
- Sustainable Production Forest Management (PK-PHPL) and Timber Legality Verification (VLK) as stated – but not limited to -Permenhut P38 / 2009 jo P68 / 2011 and its derivative regulations.
- JPIK until February 2013 consisted of 41 institutions and 259 individuals. JPIK has the role of monitoring the implementation of SVLK, from the accreditation process, assessment / verification of business actors, to the process of implementing exports. The results of JPIK monitoring have been delivered both in the form of input to the audit institution and in the form of complaints / complaints to ensure the credibility of the SVLK.
Full file, please take the link below:
1. JPIK Riau Final Pers Release – Cabut Sertifikat SVLK yang diperoleh APP dan APRIL Group