Bogor, May 8, 2015. The Central Information Commission granted the FWI information request. This decision was read by the chairman of the board of commissioners in the hearing of an information dispute between FWI and the Ministry of Environment and Forestry. After receipt of the decision, the MoEF must comply with the decision and immediately submit the requested data.
The decision of the board of commissioners shows that the Information Commission is serious in carrying out the mandate of Law No. 14 of 2008. Although there are still a number of things that need to be improved internally the Central Information Commission (KIP), this decision should be appreciated because this KIP has been careful in distinguishing information open and excluded. The information requested by FWI to the Ministry of Environment and Forestry is basic information so that people can distinguish between legal and illegal activities in monitoring forest use.
The processes that FWI and JPIK have gone through prove that the Ministry of Environment and Forestry is still not fully open in accessing public information which has implications for poor forest governance. “Nearly a year we struggled to get information from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, even though it was clear that the information requested was a public document that should be opened without having to go through a hearing of information disputes.” Firm Linda Rosalina, FWI Campaigner.
“The attitude of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry that covers data and information is clearly contrary to his own statement which states that the community is an important element capable of conveying information on various types of violations in the environment and forestry. The complaints service system and mechanism built by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry will be useless if the basic information is not opened, “Linda said
A similar statement was expressed by Zainuri Hasyim, Dinamisator JPIK, “The basic data in the form of RKUPHHK, RKTUPHHK, RPPBI, and IPK is very much needed for independent monitors to carry out monitoring of the SVLK. Independent monitors who are in charge of maintaining the credibility of the SVLK will not be able to work effectively because there is no supporting data on the findings of violations that occur in the field “. Zainuri added, “The verdict of this trial is correct, so the Ministry of Environment and Forestry must immediately submit the requested data.
- Forest Watch Indonesia (FWI) is an independent forest monitoring network consisting of individuals who have a commitment to realize an open process of forestry data and information management in Indonesia so as to ensure fair and sustainable management of forest resources. FWI was appointed as the JPIK National Secretariat through a meeting of the declaration of the formation of JPIK in 2010.
- JPIK is an Independent Forest Monitoring Network that was agreed and declared on 23 September 2010 by 29 NGOs and NGO Networks from Aceh to Papua. The establishment of JPIK is a manifestation of commitment to contribute actively in promoting good forestry governance by ensuring credibility and accountability of SVLK implementation.
- The Timber Legality Verification Standard (SVLK) is a requirement to fulfill the timber legality / product made based on the agreement of forestry stakeholders which includes standards, criteria, indicators, verifiers, verification methods, and assessment norms.
- RKUPHHK (Work Plan for Timber Forest Product Utilization Business) is a work plan for all working areas of Timber Forest Product Utilization Permit (IUPHHK) for a period of 10 (ten) years, including aspects of forest sustainability, business sustainability, environmental balance and development aspects local socio-economic community. (Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number P.56 / Menhut-II / 2009 jo. P. 24 / Menhut-II / 2011; Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number P.62 / Menhut-II / 2008 jo. P.14 / Menhut-II / 2009).
- The Annual Work Plan for Timber Forest Product Utilization (RKTUPHHK) is a work plan with a period of 1 (one) compiled based on RKUPHHK. (Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number P.56 / Menhut-II / 2009 jo. P. 24 / Menhut-II / 2011; Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number P.62 / Menhut-II / 2008 jo. P.14 / Menhut-II / 2009).
- Plans for Fulfillment of Raw Materials for Timber Forest Product Primary Industry (RPBBI) are plans that contain raw material requirements and raw material supplies originating from legitimate sources and utilization / use of raw materials and production according to the permit capacity of forest primary primary industries and availability of guaranteed raw material supplies for a period of 1 (one) year which is a raw material supply control system. (Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number P.9 / Menhut-II / 2012).
- Timber Utilization Permit, hereinafter referred to as IPK, is a permit to cut timber and / or collect non-timber forest products as a result of non-forestry permit activities, among others, from production forest areas that can be converted and released, production forest areas by exchanging forest areas , use of forest areas with borrowing licenses to use, and from Other Use Areas that have been granted allocation permits. (RI Minister of Forestry Regulation Number P.62 / Menhut-II / 2014).
Contact For Interviews:
Linda Rosalina, FWI Campaigner
Email: email@example.com; Phone: +628889044794
Zaenuri Hasyim, JPIK National Dynamics
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: +628159086006